WE HOLD OURSELVES TO A HIGHER STANDARD
LIMSA was organized in 1933 to build consumer confidence in the Long Island moving industry. While descendants of some of the pioneer founding companies still manage moving and storage businesses on Long Island, new companies — large and small — become members every year, meeting very high performance standards and as well as LIMSA’s strict Code of Ethics.
Any individual, firm, partnership or corporation engaged in the transportation of office or household goods with a headquarters office located at the same site for at least three years in the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Brooklyn or the New York Metro area in the State of New York may become a member of this association, provided the nominee:
- Is first nominated for membership by two current mover members in good standing;
- Proves performance in accordance with, and accepts adherence to, the association’s Code of Ethics, including coverage of Workers Compensation Insurance;
- Proves a record of fair and honest business dealings with customers, fellow movers and associate members;
- Proves an acceptable performance record with the New York State Department of Transportation and any other regulatory agency governing our industry, plus maintains a minimum of a Satisfactory Rating with the Better Business Bureau; acceptable DOT record of five (5) or less complaints within a period of one year, although a single serious or blatant complaint such as theft, fraud or failure to comply with tariff rules, shall be deemed unacceptable for new or existing members and shall be reason for rejection of a membership application or termination of membership of an existing member;
- Passes LIMSA’s screening/interview process based on approval by 70% of the Board.